It started with an email I got the other day on a plan by some Republicans to cut Federal waste. I searched for more ideas on the Internet and found these and compiled them from various sources:
3rd CD, Pennsylvania, Republican Mike Kelly’s Top 20 Ways to Cut Spending
National Review Online
Then I added a few more of my own ideas.
- Remove all U.S. Armed Forces from the 38th Parallel Demilitarized Zone in Korea. We have been keeping 50,000 troops on the DMZ since the end of the Korean War - almost 59 years ago.
- Close all U.S. military bases in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkey and any other predominantly Muslim country in the Middle East.
- Since remaining military bases in "friendly" countries are utilized to protect those countries, we should bill those governments for twice the amount it takes the U.S. government to run them. This is the same way private security firms charge for their services.
- Eliminate all Foreign Aid. You really can't buy your friends.
- Withdraw membership in the United Nations and remove this organization from U.S. soil.
- Increase Tariffs for all imports from countries that do not provide a standard of living for its factory workers equal to our own minimum wage.
- Eliminate the entire Dept. of Education.
Here is the big list.
- Eliminate the entire Dept. of the Interior.
Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy $445 million America 's Treasures Program $25 million International Fund for Ireland $17 million Legal Services Corporation $420 million National Endowment for the Arts $167.5 million National Endowment for the Humanities $167.5 million Hope VI Program $250 million Amtrak Subsidies $1.565 Billion Eliminate 68 duplicate education programs H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon $1.3 Billion U.S. Trade Development Agency $55 million Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy $20 million Cut in half funds for congressional printing and binding $47 million John C. Stennis Center Subsidy $430,000 Community Development Fund. $4.5 Billion Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid $24 million Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 Billion Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million Essential Air Service. $150 million Technology Innovation Program. $70 million Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million Dept of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million Beach Replenishment. $95 million New Starts Transit. $2 Billion Exchange Programs for Alaska , Natives Native Hawaiians, and their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 Billion Title X Family Planning. $318 million Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million Economic Development Administration. $293 million Programs under the National & Community Services Act. $1.15 Billion Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 Billion Freedom CAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million Energy Star Program. $52 million Economic Assistance to Egypt . $250 million U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 Billion General Assistance to District of Columbia . $210 million Subsidy for Washington Metro Area Transit Authority. $150 million Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. (which sets "prevailing wages" for workers on federal projects). $1 Billion IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 Billion Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 Billion Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 Billion Sell excess federal properties the government does not use. $15 billion Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress. Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million USDA Sugar Program. $14 million Subsidy to Organization for Economic Co-operation and Develop. (OECD). $93 million Eliminate the National Organic Certif. Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million Eliminate funding for Obamacare administrative costs or legal defenses. $900 million Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million HUD Ph.D. Program. Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act. Eliminating all remaining "stimulus" funding. $45 billion TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over ten years